I'm not the typical recruiter. Most recruiters I've run across are young adults, usually recent college grads, with little experience with corporate responsibility. Others have been in the industry for some time, but still have little background in corporate settings, and have been indoctrinated with all the wrong ideas about recruiting. My background is different. (See my profile here.)
I started my career in public accounting doing audit work as an assistant auditor, then a staff auditor, and eventually as a senior auditor with one of the largest firms in the country. I achieved CPA status while at the CPA firm, and ultimately made the decision to go into private work.
I took a position as Assistant Controller with a national small business lender and over the course of the next 5 years worked my way up from Assistant Controller to Controller, VP of Finance, and eventually CFO. As is common in the financial services industry, my company was bought out by a larger competitor and as the purchaser already had all they needed by way of accounting personnel, I accepted a position as Director of Quality Improvement with the new organization.
I spent the next 4 years building a Lean Six Sigma group, hiring and developing Green Belts and Black Belts while serving as Master Black Belt and Director for the group. I was involved in every aspect of the organization and served as an integral member of the executive team.
After 4 years of hard traveling, I made a decision to find a position that would allow me to be home with my wife and 4 children instead of traveling so extensively. Of course, one of my first steps was to contact Darrel Joyner at AccountSource to seek advice on a job search. Darrell immediately asked me to consider a role as a financial recruiter...and the rest as they say is history.
If you've read this far, you are probably about to say "So what?", and I'm glad to answer that thought for you. Read my thoughts about typical recruiters here, and why I'm a different kind of recruiter.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment